We see every generation fall further and further away from God and essentially away from core family values. There are certain things I want to make sure my kids know. And I want to be the one that teaches them these values and truths. It's either I teach them truth or the world teaches them lies.
1. You were uniquely designed you to be YOU. You are His perfectly perfect creation, handcrafted by the same hands that made the stars. There are billions of us here on earth, but does that make any of us less valuable? Absolutely not! If you found billions of diamonds would they be less valuable because there were so many? Jesus skillfully crafted the body, mind and soul of each and every human being in his/her mother's womb. So the next time your self-esteem is lacking or you feel not as pretty, thin, popular, etc. as the next person, just smile and thank the God who made you, died for you, and wants the best for you.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
2. You will never be perfect. God does not demand our perfection to get His love. God knows there is a gap between His perfectness and our imperfection. It's there and it will always be there. But if you've put your faith in Jesus and received Him into your life then you've been declared righteous. You are covered under His grace, declared righteous and are precious in His eyes and you are held in the hand of His care. You are HIS and he loves you unconditionally.
For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
3. Honor your parents. This is a big one guys. God gave one commandment to children, obey your parents. This is more than just obeying them, it's treating them like important people. It's treating them with love and respect. Sometimes we are asked to do hard things that we don't understand, don't want to do, don't feel like doing or that anger us. But remember, when we obey God we always know that he will bless us and make us happy.
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the Lord your God is giving you.
4. Guard your heart. You are to keep your heart safe and guard it from attack. Just a little side note...because everyone else is doing it is not a good excuse. There is a real war going on right now over your soul. Every single day satan prowls around and looks for an opportunity to pounce on your heart. You must be a warrior, put on the armor of God and guard your heart against attack. You need to be on guard about the occult, sexual sin, envy, greed, sassyness, gossip, lying, anger and pride. This is just a teeny tiny list of what to be on guard about.
Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
5. Learn forgiveness. We are to forgive others just as God has forgiven us. remember, we are all sinners and not a single one of us is perfect. We are literally obligated as God’s children to extend to others His unlimited capacity to forgive.
For if you forgive men for their transgressions, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men, then your Father will not forgive your transgressions.
6. A monkey is not your father. Evidence of creation is simple, it's outlined in Gods word. God created the Heavens and the earth by simply speaking them into existence. He created the land, seas, plants, sun, moon, earth, lights, birds, creeping animals, and humans. He spoke them into being. He made man and woman in His image. He made us different from the rest of creation.
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
7. Purity is cool. While the world would tell you differently. Just look around, we are constantly bombarded by sex. When you fall in love, it's natural to want to express your love in physical ways. But you also know God wants you to remain sexually pure—in both your actions and your thoughts. Sometimes it's a tough balance, but showing love for another and remaining pure is possible. Respect yourself, respect your partner but most importantly respect God.
Think of what an amazing gift you would be able to give your future husband/wife on your wedding day. Not only would you be giving them your whole heart but you could also give them your whole body as well. What an awesome gift that would be!
PS...Real love doesn't say "If you love me, you'll do ________". Real love says "Since I care about you so much, I will respect you, treat you with kindness and never ask you to do something you know is wrong."
Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.
1 Corinthians 6:18
8. Spend time in Gods word. Although the Bible can be a challenge to read (um, hello...it doesn't read like an ordinary book, was written over thousands over years age by nearly 40 different authors and in several languages) God gave us this for a reason. Every answer you ever, ever need for a life problem can be found in this book. The only way to grow more in your walk with God is to dig in there and get in His word. Thankfully, there are different Bible translations now that make it way easier for us to read and understand.
Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.
9. Anger is never the answer. Being angry at someone isn't going to change their heart. Ask God to help you control your anger. It can ruin a relationship quick quick quick. Anger shows your worst side. And often, things said in anger are horrible, ugly and not really meant. And once they are said there is no going back.
My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry.
10. You are loved, always. God is love. God can't help loving because it is an essential part of His character. He goes looking for us when we wander away from Him. He won’t rest until He finds us and brings us back home to Him. He will pursue us tirelessly until we are returned to Him, our loving Father. And He doesn't care if we are messy or missing some parts when He finds us. He welcomes us home to Him just the way we are.
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:8